1 The Muppet Mindset: A Muppet Fan's Guide to New York City

Jun 20, 2014

A Muppet Fan's Guide to New York City

Spencer Cohen - As many people (especially Muppet fans) know, New York City is a great place to take part in various Muppet-related activities. I'm lucky enough to live near the city, so I've seen and done quite a few of the awesome Muppet things that you can do in the big city. Below are some of my very favorite Muppet-related places to go and experiences I've gotten to have in New York City!

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop at the FAO Schwarz Flagship Store
An awesome workshop where one can build their very own Muppet character, like the ones shown in this picture!
There’s also a lot of cool pictures, Muppet memorabilia, and other merchandise on display as well!

The Museum of the Moving Image
An excellent museum dedicated to the art of film and television, this fun attraction is another great place for Muppet lovers. Several people who have worked with the Muppets have made appearances at events held at the museum. I was lucky enough to go to the special tribute to the late, great Muppet performer Jerry Nelson. The tribute was absolutely beautiful, and being there was an absolutely amazing experience that I will never forget.
Jerry Nelson Muppet from The Muppet Show that was on display at the tribute at the museum. I had the opportunity to meet Muppet performers Bill Barretta and Steve Whitmire there! In addition, there’s also a set model from The Muppets take Manhattan on display in the museum!

Kermit’s Footprints in Cement on the Sidewalk
Located around East 67th Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, in front of the building that used to be the old workshop for The Jim Henson Company!
Kermit's Picture at Sardi’s
Located on 234 W 44th St, this famous restaurant was seen in The Muppets Take Manhattan! Kermit’s signed caricature from the movie is still hanging inside the restaurant. To see it, all you need to do is walk up the stairs, and it will be on your left once you get to the top!
My puppet character, Doughnut, and me with Kermit’s caricature!

Other Events/Muppet Appearances
The Muppets, Muppet performers, and other people who have worked with our favorite frogs, pigs, monsters, etc. appear at various public events throughout NYC. Back in October 2012, Roscoe Orman (Gordon on Sesame Street), Elmo (dressed as a superhero) and Darth Chicken appeared at New York Comic Con and performed a fun show!
In addition, My good ol’ buddy, Jeff and I were lucky enough to get a ticket to a meet and greet with Elmo and Roscoe, which took place after the show!

Then in March of this year, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, Walter, along with his just as awesome puppeteer, Peter Linz, appeared at a special sing-along screening of the 2011 hit film, The Muppets! Both my buddy Zak and I, along with some other Muppets fans, were given the opportunity to meet them after the screening!
Me, Walter, Peter Linz, and my buddy Zak!

And there are my favorites from all the Muppet-related activities in New York City, that are open to the public! I hope that this guide serves all you well!






The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, muppetmindset@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Give me more! I am totally going to hunt down those Kermit footprints!

    ReplyDelete

The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.com
The Muppet Whatnot Workshop-Only Available at FAO.combanner